Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Message from Ron Papa about bear damage....

Hi friends and fellow beekeepers,

Since this is the time of the year we experience pressure from the bear, I thought I would share some information I recently learned.

As beekeepers you are entitled to make a claim with the PA Game Commission for bear damage. It is my understanding that you can be compensated for equipment loss along with some value for your honey but not your bees. It is also my understanding that you can file your first claim without having an electric fence but subsequent claims at the same location require that you DO have a fence.

If you should incurr damage and wish to make a claim you must leave everything as it is and contact the game commission right away so that your local contact can come out and make a determination.

Your first step should be to contact the Dallas, PA office at 570-675-1143 or 570-675-1144. If you're not getting results through this contact you can call the Commission Biologist(Mark) at 814-625-3597.

Best of luck in your beekeeping endevours.


Ron Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Wayne County Beekeepers Association, thank you for your comments. We're so happy you stopped by.